In the time of COVID-19 pandemic, everyone is adopting work from home policy from educational sectors to corporate sectors. In this scenario zoom app becomes the most accessible app from 1st April 2020 for all the meetings through video or audio visual means. But do you think that arranging meeting on Zoom app is having all cyber security measures to secure your files and folders available in your computer.
Various online trolls have been sneaking into web meetings and disrupting them with unwanted and unacceptable things during the meeting. According to the Cyber security researchers these disruptions have been caused for more harmful attacks allowing hackers to access secure files or other computer software.
Zoom meetings are having many privacy issues due to which in 2019 also, the video conferencing software experienced both a webcam hacking scandal and a bug that allowed snooping users to potentially join video meetings they hadn’t been invited to. This is one of the main issue is related to ‘Zoom bombing’, which refers to the ability for people, invited or not invited to jump into a meeting and disrupt the meeting by either posting messages to the chat windows, sharing screens containing inappropriate content, or saying things in the meeting that is inappropriate.
So if you are using the zoom app for your meeting, simply follow these steps which are recommended by security experts so that your data should remain confidential which are as follows:
- Do not use a shared or public Wi-Fi network without a VPN.
- Use Conference IDs, instead of links to join the meeting, because links can be malicious and used to hack unsuspecting users.
- Do not repeat the meeting IDs to keep unwanted participants out of meetings.
- Apply scrutiny to links and documents which can contain malicious code.
- Use the waiting room feature to screen meeting participants before allowing them to interact in the meeting room. This can be done by clicking on the settings tab.
- When you are not using computer microphones and webcams use blockers or covers both of which can be purchased online.
- Do not share your meeting links or IDs on any social media platform.
- Remove the record option so zoom, so that parties to the meeting not able to record the meeting.
- Verify that only authorized person are there in the meeting.
Zoom’s share has increased this year due to the pandemic Covid-19 everyone is using for video conferencing. The company has become popular, reaching more than 200 million daily meeting participants in March and April 2020. Due to which this has increased scrutiny from cyber security and privacy experts. Do check all the functions of zoom app while starting a video as there many updates available where you can lock your meeting and safely use the Zoom app. Now the Zoom has announced 90 days to fix its all privacy and security issues.